Music is held in high esteem at St Margaret’s, both by the girls and by the staff, and the school is acknowledged throughout the city and county as a place of musical excellence. All girls are encouraged to acquire instrumental skills and to enjoy participating in the school’s various bands, choirs and orchestras. Regular solo and group performance opportunities are available throughout the school year, both on and off site, and both formal and informal. Music is used to enhance our own school events and is regularly taken out into the community for a range of charitable causes. Every two years the department undertakes an overseas concert tour; recent destinations include Germany, Austria, Hungary, and the USA.
Extra-curricular music includes:
- Chamber Choir
- Vocal Jazz
- Senior String Ensemble
- Vivaldi – Intermediate String Ensemble
- Corelli – Junior String Ensemble
- Concert Band
- Intermediate Wind Ensemble
- Wind Quartet
- Brass Ensemble
- Music Theory Clubs
- Choral Club
There are also various opportunities for string quartets, piano trios and other chamber music ensembles.
- Music workshops in school with the RSNO, Scottish Opera and other professional bodies
- Masterclasses from visiting instrumental specialists
- Annual solo recital competition - the Lamont Murray Prize
- Regular concerts / lunchtime recitals in Aberdeen City, at the University and further afield
- Carol Service and Christmas Concert
- Speech Day
- St Margaret’s Day Service
- Harvest Festival
- Annual junior and senior school musical productions
Associated Board and Trinity College instrumental and theory examinations are held in school several times annually.